Benefits of Blueberries…and Jesus
“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:33
I googled “benefits of blueberries” and saw a pretty comprehensive list of good reasons to eat them:
- Combat aging. Antioxidants are your best friend to keep Father Time at bay. ...
- Boost the Brain. ...
- Fight Cancer. ...
- Support Digestion. ...
- Promote Heart Health. ...
- Benefit the Skin. ...
- Aid Weight Loss.
I had been eating blueberries all week with my oatmeal, and I wanted to remind myself why they were so good for me – aside from their great taste.
It got me thinking, what would I find if I googled “benefits of Jesus”? No automated list comes up from google, unfortunately, but I did find this from andrewshreeve.org:
10 benefits of Jesus:
- Remission and forgiveness of sins (Romans 3:25, 1 John 1:9)
- Eternal life (John 3:16, 1 John 5:11)
- Physical healing (Matthew 8:17, 1 Peter 2:24)
- Emotional peace and restoration (Psalm 23:3, Isaiah 26:3)
- Financial provision (Psalm 23:1, Psalm 34:10)
- Good food (Psalm 23:5, Psalm 103:5)
- Physical strength (Psalm 29:11)
- Wisdom (1 Corinthians 1:30)
- Safety (Psalm 91:11-12)
- Prosperity (Psalm 1:3, 3 John 2)
Not bad. I think if anyone saw those benefits, they would immediately ask what they need to do to get them. Nicodemus, the thief on the cross, the jailer with Paul and Silas, and so many others have asked something a similar question, “What do I need to do to be saved?”
Instead of seeking after the benefits (there is nothing wrong with that), let’s seek Jesus and His kingdom with our whole heart and being, and all those benefits (seen and unseen) will be added to us!
Just like I checked how blueberries benefit me, we need to remind ourselves why we seek God’s Kingdom first, why we need Jesus and what he truly offers us – eternal life and more.
Jesus, thank you for everything you give us. You are our salvation and life. Restore the joy of our salvation today, and help us share your message with those we encounter today. Amen.