Texas Gov. Greg Abbot (R) has officially declared an “invasion” as illegal immigrants continue to flood into the Lone Star State.
Click here to listen to Todd’s daily podcast.
The recently re-elected governor is invoking the Invasion Clause of the U.S. and Texas Constitutions to invoke powers specifically ordained for an invasion scenario.
Abbot says he intends to “take unprecedented measures” to protect the people of Texas.
The governor made the announcement in a tweet Tuesday.
“I invoked the Invasion Clauses of the U.S. & Texas Constitutions to fully authorize Texas to take unprecedented measures to defend our state against an invasion,” he wrote.
NBC Suspends Reporter With Retracted Paul Pelosi Story
Abbot continued by listing the powers he will use to “keep our state & country safe:”
- Deploy the National Guard to safeguard the border, and to repel and turn back immigrants trying to cross the border illegally
- Deploy the Texas Dept. of Public Safety (DPS) to arrest and return immigrants to the border who crossed illegally, and to arrest illegal immigrants for criminal activity;
- Build a wall in multiple counties on the border;
- Deploy gun boats;
- Designate Mexican drug cartels as foreign terrorist organizations;
- Enter into a compact with other states to secure the border;
- Enter into agreements with foreign powers to enhance border security;
- Provide resources for border counties to increase their efforts to respond to the “border invasion.”
I invoked the Invasion Clauses of the U.S. & Texas Constitutions to fully authorize Texas to take unprecedented measures to defend our state against an invasion.— Greg Abbott (@GregAbbott_TX) November 15, 2022
I’m using that constitutional authority, & other authorization & Executive Orders to keep our state & country safe: pic.twitter.com/2Jt5HEMgp5
This is not the first time Abbot has taken a stand against open border policies and illegal immigration.
In July, the governor issued an executive order calling on state law enforcement to “apprehend” illegals who cross between ports of entry and “return them to the border.”
Can You Spot the Transgender Beauty Queen Winner?
U.S. Customs and Border Protection reports that agents have encountered over 2 million illegal immigrants crossing the U.S. – Mexico border this year.