Kristi Noem Sues Biden for Canceling Mount Rushmore Fireworks
“They’re being so punitive,” Noem said on the “Todd Starnes Show” Tuesday.
“We’ve jumped through all the hoops. We’ve checked all the boxes. We’ve met the requirements of the permit that we need to host it, and he’s just denying it to be punitive because he doesn’t like me or the decisions we’re making in the state of South Dakota,” the Republican governor explained.
“So I’m suing him in federal court over it, and we will win because we’re right,” she added.
“I’m with you,” host Todd Starnes told Noem. “I think this is nothing more than he’s being mean and this is some sort of a punishment, and it’s pretty pathetic.”
LISTEN TO GOV. KRISTI NOEM DISCUSS THE STORY ON THE TODDCAST PODCAST:
Noem previously said that the Biden administration’s refusal to give the permit for the fireworks will crush the state’s tourism industry.
The National Park Service (NPS) — citing the COVID-19 pandemic, wildfire risks, opposition from tribal partners, environmental concerns, and ongoing construction at the federal landmark — denied Noem’s permit request for 2021.
NPS in March denied Noem’s permit application for 2022 fireworks, the Sioux Falls Argus Leader reported.
The state’s permit application was submitted through the South Dakota Department of Tourism and requested a “special event” to occur at Mount Rushmore from between June 15 to July 10, according to the rejection letter.
“Fireworks are viewed by multiple Tribes as an adverse effect to the traditional cultural landscape,” the letter read, the Argus Leader reported.
The NPS letter also cited conflicting schedules, as the agency plans to host a “patriotic Independence Day celebration in 2022,” unreasonable interference with visitor services – basically, the closing to the public of the Memorial and possible damages to the park because of the increased fire threat, according to the newspaper.
Newsmax contributed to this report.